Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hadley's Birth Story: Part Two

We made it to the Hospital on time. Actually, fifteen minutes early. I think that will go down in history as the last thing we show up early for! We walked in with a couple who were heading for the ER. Because it was nearly midnight, the ER was the only entrance open. The kind man offered to let me check in before him, but the receptionist said she would take care of him first because I was going to take a minute. He then said his reason for coming was chest pain, and he was having signs of heart attack! That was really thoughtful of him to let me skip ahead while he is having a heart attack! Once he was taken care of, she started with me. Thank goodness I had sent in my pre-admission paperwork. I managed to make it through the process with only one contraction. I signed my and Haddie's life away on various forms and got all my stylin' hospital bracelets. After we had taken care of the business end of things, she sent us to labor and delivery.

It was calm and quite on our walk to L&D. I picked up the phone to be let into the unit. I did my best to mumble out that I was there to be induced. When we entered through the doors, the nurses were standing around the desk. My nurse, who I can not remember her name for the life of me, greeted me. She was very nice and friendly. She led us back to our room, Room 12. I had noticed that almost all the other rooms were empty. It was apparently a quiet night around there; I was her only patient. She showed me where everything was and what I needed to do. She said she would be back in a few minutes; it wasn't quite midnight.

I paced around in circles. It was starting to hit me. I wanted to check out the room, unpack, get changed, and handle all of the other business I needed to take care of. I just didn't know where to start. I finally got my wits about me and grabbed what I needed and headed to the restroom. After I had collected my final sample and changed into my attire, I climbed into the bed. After a few minutes she returned. She asked if I was ready, and I said "I guess so." I thought about it after I said it, and I corrected myself. I was ready for Haddie, I just wasn't so sure about getting her here. I told her I was most nervous of the IV, and I was terrified of it going in my hand. She said she would go ahead and get it over with since I was already "geared up." She gathered her supplies and tried to get me to relax. She was going to place it in my forearm; that made me feel a little better. There was definitely more meat on my arm than my hand. She did a great job and it really wasn't that bad. I did get slightly light-headed when I looked down at all the tubing and tape on my arm, but I was glad to have that part over.

Once my fluids were pumping, it was time to hook me up to the other machinery. I told her I had been having contractions, and she said she would check me once I was all connected. I was silently praying (begging) for some change. She placed the blood pressure cuff on my arm, pulse monitor on my finger, fetal heart rate monitor and contraction monitor on my belly. I instantly heard her heartbeat and also saw my contractions. The contractions were still regular and slowly gaining intensity. My biggest and only complaint was the back pain with each one. She asked what my pain level was. I decided it was about a 3 or 4 with each contraction, but without it I was totally comfortable.

After getting connected and answering a few questions about my wishes during and after delivery, it was about 12:45am. She checked to see if I had made any progress. I sadly told her I had been 0cm at my last appointment. But to my surprise, she said I was about 2cm and 80%! I was ecstatic! I was so glad that my body had started on its own. I knew that every little bit would help. Since I was already contracting and making progress, she left to call Mary to see if I needed to do the Cervidil or we should just start Pitocin. She came back with the Cervidil. She helped me to the bathroom to potty. Once the Cervidil was in, I wouldn't be able to move for two hours.

The Cervidil looked like a piece of masking tape with a string on it. She placed it at around 1am. I had heard mixed reviews on how uncomfortable this process could be. I guess it just depends on who, where, and how they place it. For me, it was pretty painless. Once that was set, she said just to settle in. She warned I could experience some cramping and my contractions could take off. Ed instantly unfolded the chair/bed and got comfortable. He had brought a sleep-aid to take so he could rest and be ready for the next day. I was convinced we should tuck in for the night and start waiting it out. Not long after she left, I heard Ed snoring. I decided that wasn't a bad idea, and I tried to get comfy....

To Read Part Three, Click Here

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo exciting!!! I'm so glad the Cervidil and IV didn't hurt you! You must have had some great nurses! :)

    ReplyDelete