Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Let's Get Real: Naptime Confessions

I am not built to be a full-time stay-at-home mom. There. I said it.

Let me stop right here and say what sounds real cliche: I love my life. But honestly, I do! I am more than blessed with a home, a job, friends and family, and most of all, a happy and healthy little girl. But that doesn't mean that I don't get overwhelmed. I am still human.

I know that there are several reasons women become stay-at-home moms: finances, health reasons, more time with kids, etc. No matter what the reason, I am not here to down it. Go, girl.

God knew what he was doing when he chose my profession. I get the best of both worlds! I get an income and a job for a majority of the year with family-friendly hours and some extra time off for holidays. And then I get a few months at home for the summer. And that is exactly what I can handle.

This toddler stage is a toughie. Every thing is "no." Every thing is a game of you gotta catch me first. Every bad choice is done with that sly smile meaning, "what you gonna do about it." Honestly, it is exhausting. Some days I live for nap time. And then bed time. Figuring out how to discipline is equally as tough. With so many influences from a million different sources, you begin to second guess your fifth guesses. Some days getting out of the house is more trouble than it is worth. And the loads of laundry only containing pajamas are proof of that.

Don't get me wrong. We have fun. But it isn't all picnics, trips to the zoo, bubbles and happiness. We have had tantrums, spills, and boo boos. From both parties.

I do take Haddie to daycare one day a week. I want her to stay somewhat in the groove with school. Plus, I love that she gets to see her friends and and have some social interaction of the toddler kind. And she loves it too. She walks in and slams the door in my face behind her. But having a built in "free" day a week isn't always so relaxing. Lots of tasks and errands get thrown to this day. Soon, my "relaxing, baby free" day becomes a day of running around trying to cram it all in before time to pick her up.

Let's get real though. The grass is always greener. No matter what your situation, things could always be better or worse in some aspect. I guess I just needed a therapy session to get it all out. I have a lot to be thankful for.

For those full-time SAHMs (or Dads!), my hat is off to you! Every one has his/her calling. I am thankful to have my Summer to spend with Haddie, but I may or may not get a little sigh of relief to see those school supplies back on the shelf at the ole Walmart!

Alright, friends. Therapy session over. I need to focus on Food Network and eat my carton of ice cream before nap time is over and sidewalk chalk, snack, and snuggles begin! I will leave you with a small photo dump of our Summer and a quote that I tell my self daily.....

"The days are long, but the years are short" - Gretchen Rubin









 

1 comment: