Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DIY Oversized Ruler Growth Chart

First, let's start with a quick update. Haddie is rotten. Nothing new. She continues to grow, learn, and amaze me each day. The saying that "the days are long, but the years go quick, " could not be more true. Life is good lately. Summer is here. New relationships help the heart and the sanity. A fellow named Chris is responsible for that. And we can't forget Haddie's new best friend, Bristol, the golden retriever. I see a happy future in the works!



Alright. You know I love a great DIY! I love it even more when it's been forgotten on the to-do list and someone makes it happen. I had mentioned while cruising around Pinterest that I loved this project, and Chris took note. Haddie (and Chris) got me a board for Mother's Day. :)

I love the idea of this growth chart. It is charming enough for a kid's room, but sophisticated enough to display in the living area of the house. (Which is were mine is located). Plus, it is portable! We will not be living in our current location within a few years, and I don't want to lose those growth markings that would typically be on the door frame. And if you are stationed in your home permanently, then no worries about painting over during touch up or a remodel.

Before I got started, I chose a design and style that I liked. Some go for what looks like an actual giant ruler and some use colorful paint and decals to decorate the board. You can find many variations on Pinterest. I combined several components that I liked and created my own. I knew I wanted a rustic/distressed look, but I wanted a white surface instead of stained wood for better visibility on the markings. You will also need to decide how to number the measurement markings. Some different ideas include paint (my choice), vinyl, mailbox numbers, etc.



Based on my design plan, my supply list included:
a board (1″x8″x6′)
dark walnut wood stain
white paint
a multi-grit sandpaper pack
paint for measurement marks and numbers
number stencils
various sized paint brushes

I am the world's step by step picture taker, but the process is pretty easy. First, sand the board to make sure it is nice and smooth. I made sure all of the dust was blown away and stained the board using an old burp cloth by following the direction on the stain can. I did two coats because I wanted the rich color to come through for the distressed look. I let it dry overnight.

Next, I did one coat of white paint. I covered the entire board, but I didn't obsess over brush marks and complete coverage because I was going for a worn look. Because of the blistering heat and a single layer, the paint was drying fairly quickly. I decided to keep working. Using sandpaper, I began distressing the board. I focused on the edges and sides. Going with grain, I also chose a few interior places on the board. I went back and forth between sandpaper grit numbers. I sanded just enough so that the layer of paint was coming off and the stain could peek through. I think it is a good idea to work a little and then step back, so that you don't get too carried away.

Next, I made my measurement marks by laying the measuring tape down beside the edge of the board and placing a pencil mark for each inch. I used different sized marks for the inch, 6 inch and 12 inch measurements. Don't forget to leave off some room for the bottom. I began marking off my board at 9 inches because I wanted my board to have an 8 inch clearance from the floor. After all the pencil marks were made, I went back over the pencil with a dark brown paint. Once again, I wasn't going for perfection.

Next, I chose and downloaded a free font from DaFont. I created a word document and entered numbers one through six. I increased the size until my numbers were about six inches tall. Then I printed the document and cut out the numbers to make stencils. I like to think that may spatial awareness skills are pretty good, so I just eyeballed the placement of the numbers on the board. After some adjusting, I traced the numbers using pencil. Once the stencils were traced and removed, I painted in the numbers using the dark brown paint.

After the numbers were dry, I went back over board with sandpaper a few more times to give the measurement marks and numbers a worn look, as well. Then, I nailed a hanging bracket to the back and BOOM. I have yet to put any marks on the board. My plan is to measure her every six months. I am going to double check her measurements with the pediatrician at her next checkup before they are written in stone.



Not only are these great for your own home, but this would also be a great baby shower gift :) Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment