Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One "Thrifty" Mama : JBF - Consigning



Hopefully, I piqued your interest with my last post about JBF. As promised, I have the inside scoop on how to get involved and make some extra cash. Who doesn't love a little extra money?!

All you have to do is sign up to be a consignor and start tagging. You can find all the details and become consignor on the JBF website (link is posted above). I am going to give you the quick and dirty version. I have a method for tagging that seems to work well. If I was a little less of a procrastinator, it would be even better!

As soon as Haddie outgrows something or I swap her closet over due to seasonal change, I put it in the consignment pile. I have two tubs: fall/winter and spring/summer. Some items can be sold in both sales, so those things go in the upcoming season sale pile. Because I do this, I don't have to hunt down or sort clothes once it is time to tag. Another thing I love about JBF is that you can enter tags at any time! In a perfect world, I would tag as I go. But in the procrastination that is my life, I wait until the last minute. Once your tags are entered, simply print them out. I place items on a hanger or in a ziploc bag, attached the tag, and place the items back in the bucket. All done and ready for drop-off!

A couple additional tips: ALWAYS save hangers. I find that if I save the hangers when I buy new clothing or after shopping at consignment sales, I don't need to buy any to prepare my items. Another tip is to check your clothing in a couple different types of lighting. I have taken things to consign that were covered in stains that I couldn't see in my home lighting.

Once your items are tagged, you wait for Drop-Off. There is usually a two day drop-off period. During Drop-Off, your items are inspected for quality. Inspectors are checking for holes and stains. They are also checking to ensure that your items have been properly tagged so you get credit for all your items that are sold. Recently, JBF has started a Perfect Consignor program. If you pass inspection with three or fewer unacceptable items and everything is correctly tagged, you get to bypass inspection during Drop-Off at future JBF events!

After Drop-Off, all that is left to do is sit back and wait. You can track items sold by logging on during the sale. You get a percentage of the total amount of all your items sold. This percentage can be increased even more by volunteering during the sale! At the end of the sale, you can pick up any unsold items or donate them to charity. Once the sale is over, it only takes a few days before time to pick up your check! Boom.

What could you do with that extra money? I plan to stock up on some great deals at JBF! I am on the hunt for some great play clothes, PJs, and an Easter dress.

Drop-Off for the Spring/Summer event ends tomorrow. But the great news if you can starting tagging for the Fall/Winter event now! Check back in a few days to see what deals I find!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment