Friday, October 26, 2012

Breastfeeding Woes and an Update

Since posting the latest blog, I have made some new discoveries. As you can tell from the title, this post will contain information on nursing. So, if you aren't interested in reading about my trials and tribulations, you have been warned. I am not sure how far into the World Wide Web this blog reaches, but I am sure someone out there can learn from my experiences, or even give some advice. For those not interested, I will start with the update first.

I had mentioned that I have been using the amazing app called BabyESP. I noticed it said "trial" when I downloaded it. Some apps have a free version and then a full version to purchase. I assumed that I was downloading the free version. I guess I should have noticed it said "trial. After five days, it did not allow me to add anymore activity! It said that I needed to buy the full version. I am not one to buy apps, but I LOVED this one. I was willing to pay. So, I go to the app store. "BabyESP is not available for purchase in the US." What?!? I seriously almost cried. So, I hunt all through the other apps to find something at least similar. No such luck. Nothing is as user-friendly or detailed. I am so bummed! I have been trying out different ones, with no luck. So, don't bother downloading BabyESP.

Now, for the low down on nursing. I was originally afraid that I would not be able to breastfeed or produce enough breastmilk. Well, I have to come to find out that it is quite the opposite. Hadley has really gotten the hang of the latch, and I no longer have to swaddle her hands down. She loves her hands, and I felt bad strapping her arms down. Now, our problem is that she drowns when she eats. She gasps, gurgles, and gags almost the whole time. And almost always winds up choking just minutes into nursing. Also, we both get soaked in the process of feeding. It goes everywhere. From what I have read, I seem to have something called "forceful letdown." Usually, this is partnered with oversupply. I am not sure if I qualify for this as well, but I have completely leaked through pads and drenched my shirts on numerous occasions.

Haddie shows some signs related to this, but then she lacks others. She obviously has to work hard to eat. I have been using the "clutch" or "football" position, but have been holding her almost upright to help deter some of the gravity. She only nurses for about ten to fifteen minutes at a time. And typically, we only nurse on one side each session. Most of the time she falls asleep. I either change her diaper or lay her down for a second. It makes me paranoid that she only nurses for minutes at a time, but she has wet diapers like no other. I guess she is just chugging it so fast, a few minutes is all she needs.

However, she hasn't seemed to be too gassy or suffer from any reflux. Thank goodness! I have started burping her several times during her quick feedings. I don't want to start any unnecessary tummy troubles. Another symptom she lacks is in her poopie diapers. Apparently, most babies of mothers with this issue have the thin, green bowel movements. This is due to the baby only getting the "foremilk" and not the fatty, "hindmilk." Haddie has been having the normal, yellow bowel movements, but not many. She is probably going to die when she is grown and sees that I have discussed her bathroom behavior for the World to read.

I tried block feeding to help with the oversupply, but that was too painful. So, I am going to remain using one side to nurse each session in hopes that my body recognizes the supply and demand is not that drastic. I also have been using a prefold diaper to catch the "forceful" spray at the beginning of our nursing session. Once the flow has slowed down, we start again. I always thought the breastfeeding would be a breeze. As long as you can, you just do it. That is not the case. It is actually an art! We are slowly getting the hang of it. From what I have read, as long as she is having wet and dirty diapers, then things must be going OK. We are going back for another weight check on Monday. Hopefully, her weight will also show signs of good eating.

I have gotten a lot of feedback on being emotional after the birth of a baby. Apparently, I am not alone. No one warned me though! So, if you are expecting, there is a chance you may turn into a basketcase for a few days. I cant speak for everyone, but I am hearing it is somewhat common. I am still working on the Birth Story. I have some pictures on a camera that I need to access. We don't have a personal computer or internet service because we use our smart phones. And since I am on Maternity Leave, I do not have access to the school laptop. So, it is taking a little longer to get it together. But, it is in the works. Thanks for stopping by! I will leave you with a picture of the star of the show.

So in love with this snuggly girl!

3 comments:

  1. When I was younger at age 20 and had Devin, I didnt have any knowledge about breast feeding and all.He was a good baby thankfully. As I grew older it seemed like breast feeding became more and more common. And more knowlegde you can find about it like on the net and such. So when I became pregnant with Dustin and had him at 27. I knew I wanted to atleast give it a try. Since he had to go to nicu for a week. I started pumping in the hospital. And it flowed like water. I thought at first it was a piece of cake until I started nursing him in the nicu. And I had troubles with the latching. They kepted telling me to wake him up cause he kepted falling asleep latched on me. They get so comfortable they just snooze away. So then they told me to uncover him some so he wouldnt get to comfortable to fall asleep. And it sorta worked. My best position was the football hold and my boppy pillow helped me out some. The bond is awesome. I just had this mothering feeling that for me is hard for me to explain. But Im sure you know. But it is very time consuming. My opinion is its a job all by itself. I would have times it was great. Then sometimes it wasnt. If your super tired, its great to have the all ready pumped breast milk in the fridge. I breast feed him for 5 months. I also did with Autumn. I already had big boobs..now I got super big ones.lol..and Ive went up in atleast one cup size with each kid..hopefully I can get these babies back done some..lol..I think thats why so many woman don't breast feed cause they are scared or dont want to take the time. But Im glad I did and had the experiance. My friend has a boy thats two and still breast feeds. And Im thinking maybe its just pumped milk but I dont know..lol..and I know this may sound wierd but my friend a long time ago showed me she could squirt her milk across the room..And I was like no way.. and she did it..So when I had Autumn I had so much I did that to John and he freaked out..I guess I was also like omg..but I did it just to mess with him..lol..and I can see the benefits. Devin had alot of ear infections. Luckily Dustin only had one and never been sick with anything else and Autumn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao. Squirt across the room. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao. Squirt across the room. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete