Friday, April 27, 2012

14 Weeks and a Tornado Anniversary

14 Weeks
Nugget is the size of a Lemon

Well, here we are finishing Week 14! In some ways, I feel like we found out we were expecting months ago and in other ways it feels like yesterday. Still not too much new. Maybe the symptoms are gradually appearing, so it is not as noticeable for me. However, I have noticed a change in my appetite. For example, I have been eating a S'Mores Poptart and a chocolate milk for breakfast everyday this week. On Wednesdays, we cook and eat supper with Ed's parents. I had had my routine breakfast and munched all day at work. After work, we ran to Food Lion to get a few things. I grabbed a box of Toaster Strudel and Corn Dogs. (Random!) As soon as I got home, I put the corn dogs in the oven and the toaster strudel in the toaster. I ate the pre-supper snack while preparing supper. Supper included potato 'n dumplings, green beans, corn, and cornbread. I ate a large plate full of that as well. Before bed, I also had my nightly jug of chocolate milk! That is more than I have eaten in the past two weeks! Sadly, the scales have noticed also. But I know that right now is not the time to worry about weight. I just don't want to go overboard and add extra pounds to deal with after baby. Still no movement. Still on red alert!

I finally met the lady with the Moby Wrap. These online yard sales are great, but sometimes it is like pulling teeth to meet up with these people. You would think they would be motivated to get the money. I paid half of the store price! Not bad. When I got home, I pulled it out and unrolled it. Wow. That sucker is LONG! After studying the booklet, I tried it out. It was actually very easy. Of course, it wasn't picture perfect like the instruction photos, but it was close. After I was wrapped, I had to hunt down an item to represent Nugget. I found a sack of flour. Slid right in, and safely snug. I am pretty excited to snuggle up Nugget and walk around!

My appointment is next Thursday. Gender plans have changed slightly. The newest gameplan is to see what happens with this ultrasound. If Mary gets a good view and is pretty confident with the gender, I will be planning to have the party two weeks later. Hopefully, we can find out soon! Many people have found out at 14 Weeks, maybe we will be part of that group. If all goes well Thursday, I will be polling the kids on Friday too. Then after the family/friends party, we can have a mini-gender party at school also. I don't want to ask them what they think unless I can tell them the answer.

 They have been a little more curious about it lately. Probably because my growing belly is becoming more obvious. Here are a few quotes that made me chuckle: "Is a baby shower where you wash the baby?", "Ms. Rachel, why is your belly getting fat.....I mean round?" Apparently, he decided that fat wasn't the best choice. I have one sweet little girl who loves to rub my belly. Her mother has recently had a baby, so she is familiar with the tummy. She talks to Nugget and makes sure that I am careful when I carry things on my stomach.

Nursery plans have also changed. I absolutely LOVED the bedding and fabric that I had chosen. Once again, I had a little nag in the back of my mind. The price just wasn't sitting well with me. I decided to look again. I found something that I think I can make my own. And it was about one-third of the cost. Going out to start hunting some fabric for curtains, throw pillows, and a pad for the rocker. This way, I get really cute bedding and my Mom is still able to help out in the Nursery. It also makes me happy that I will be saving money too. Here is a little sneak peek.

Don't want to give too much away until the final Nursery reveal!

This is a little off-topic with pregnancy, but important. Since this blog will be a memory book from my pregnancy for myself and the baby, I think it is important to mention this anniversary event that forever changed Ringgold. Today is the one year anniversary of the tornadoes that blew through the Southeast, and devastated many places including my hometown of Ringgold, GA. Growing up we were always told that "tornadoes don't happen here." Honestly, I told that to my group of 19 students as we sat in the hallway during the first round of storms that morning. Little did we know when we left early that day, what was coming. Thankfully, my family and friends were safe and sound. The same could not be said for many families in the area. Lives, property, and memories were all lost. The first few days were a blur. Even though I had seen the devastation with my own eyes, it still felt like I was watching some far away place on TV. It hurt to see places that were so special and familiar gone or unrecognizable. Even now as they are cleaning up, tearing down and rebuilding, it is bittersweet. It will never be the same. One of the first times that I could smile when driving through Ringgold, was Memorial Day 2011. It had been about a month after the tornadoes. Debris everywhere, trees still blown down, houses still demolished, businesses closed. Yet, there were the flags. As a tradition on certain national holidays, the city places flags out to honor veterans. It was heart-warming to see them in the midst of chaos. I can't believe it has been a year.

Enough of the sappy. I am pumped to hit up the yard sales this weekend! Hopefully, I will find some gently used items for Nugget. Also, excited about hunting down some fabric,

No comments:

Post a Comment