Friday, January 31, 2014

Oh, Baby! : Nosefrida and Twilight Ladybug

Two blog posts in a month?! This could only mean one thing: I have a million other things I should be doing right now. Seriously. My house is upside down and I have no excuse. Thanks to the two inches of snow that shutdown the South, I have been at home since Tuesday afternoon. My house should be in pristine condition. Well, as pristine as living with a toddler can get. It is my honest opinion that a toddler deposit is much more necessary than a pet deposit for renters and tenants.

I decided to share/review my two favorite baby items that I am still using to this day. If you are expecting a little one or know someone who is, these are two great gifts that may have been left off the registry list. Neither were on mine! These are my opinions, but I know that I love to research anything before I buy it. Especially, when it comes to Haddie.

Nosefrida

First, we have the Nosefrida. When Haddie was about three months old, she developed a stuffy nose. And honestly, it has never left. She is genetically cursed with nasal/sinus/allergy issues, I am afraid. Being the crazy new mom, we were at the pediatrician's office every other week for answers. She couldn't breathe and had a horrible time with drainage. Seeing a tiny little one struggle so much is horrible. I just wanted a fix. The bulb syringe, saline, and humidifier/vaporizer combo just weren't doing enough for me. I was so frustrated. Finally, a fellow mama suggested that I try the Nosefrida. I had never heard of it, but I was desperate at the point. I did some quick research to see what it was about. It sounds very strange and disgusting, but if you have ever been in my shoes, you would try anything. Basically, you place the tip in the nostril and use the hose to "suck" out the snot.

There are a few reasons why I love this thing. The bulb syringe never had a enough "power." Haddie had a TON of snot and congestion, and the bulb syringe just wouldn't suck hard enough or long enough. With the Nosefrida, you can control both. Plus, I dare you to Google what the inside of a bulb syringe looks like after it has been used for a while. YUCK! You can easily take the Nosefrida apart to clean and sanitize it. Another reason I love this thing is something only a mother can understand. It is kind of similar to the way that you inspect and rejoice over the contents of your little one's diaper. It gave me a thrill to SEE all that gunk that I was getting out of her head.

Now, I will say she was and still isn't the biggest fan of being held down and having her sinuses sucked out. But, I know she has to feel better afterward. I was the guinea pig for the product before I used it on her, and it is painless. The product website says that it is doctor invented and recommended. You can find a video and even more information about the product there. I'm not certain if it is sold in stores. I ordered mine from Amazon. The product itself is about $15, and comes with four filters. You can buy the product and a box of 20 replacement filters for less than $20. I definitely recommend getting the extra filters. I didn't, and I regretted it while waiting for them to be delivered! You can order from Amazon and read even more rave reviews here.

 

Twilight Ladybug

My second favorite thing is the Twilight Constellation Ladybug by Cloud b. I have a feeling we will get lots of use out of this thing for many more years! It is so cool, I would even buy one for my room. Haddie started sleeping in her own room when she was a couple months old. I have always been a stickler about bedtime, sleeping habits, and routines. I wanted her to be able to sleep in her own room and I knew the best way to start was from the beginning. I didn't like the thought of it being dark with only a small little nightlight. I had seen several products from Cloud b, and fell in love with this little ladybug. I read some reviews and thought it sounded pretty neat.

I know there are several other brands and versions of something similar, but I think this was the "original." Some of my Pre-K kiddos have brought the other varieties in for nap time, and I don't think they work as well. The ladybug has actual constellations incorporated into the nightlight, and it comes with a star map. So once Haddie gets old enough, it will even be educational. It also projects very well. Haddie has a decent sized bedroom, and the stars shine clearly on the ceiling and even the walls. You can choose from three different colors to project: red, green, or blue. The red seems a little creepy, so I always have used the green. It has an auto shut-off timer that lasts for 45 minutes. The product also comes in a pink ladybug or turtle version in various colors.

When Haddie was still tiny, I think it was mostly just soothing to have the calming light. She was out like a light quickly at bed time anyway. She may not have even paid it any mind. After quite a few months, the batteries died. I am the worst about keeping new batteries in the house. So, the ladybug was forgotten. Flash forward to a few weeks ago. Now that Haddie is a little older, she plays a little bit before falling asleep. She had started to fuss when I would lay her down, turn out the light, and close the door. Her sound machine has a light and she also has a nightlight in her room, so it was not because it was too dark. I decided to fire up the ladybug again. Worked like a charm. No more fussing. I think it gives her something to look at as she falls asleep. Like I said before, it is pretty neat to look at. Pictures don't do it justice, you just have to try it out.

I have seen these for sale in several stores such as Target and Babies R Us, or on the product website. I purchased mine from Amazon for about $35. You can order your little one a ladybug and read reviews here.

Random Sidenote: If you are getting a monitor, go ahead and get the video monitor. I was trying to be frugal and thought it wasn't necessary to actually see her. When she was teeny and I jumped at every sound she made in the night, I really didn't miss it. But now that she is a little older, the video would be very handy to see if she is just fussing in her sleep or legit awake in the night. I think it will be even more necessary to spy on her once she is in the toddler bed. But, I'm not ready to go there yet! Needless to say, I am upgrading my audio monitor to video very soon.

Once again, these are my opinons. I love a good product and the fact that I am definitely getting my money's worth, makes me a happy mama! Feel free to share you thoughts on these products! Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment